I set out last night to slay another dragon. I’ve always love the handkerchief, though I haven’t always carried one with me. I’ve thought about making them for some time. When I had gone to the Dallas quilt show I picked up some civil war era fabric. I must have only purchased five fat quarters which really isn’t enough to make into anything, but I really liked the look and feel of it.
After work I headed to the sewing room with a purpose… Kay was as usual embroiled in one of her wonderful craft projects but saw I had a head of steam going and asked what I was planning to do. Out came the implements of destruction: iron, ironing board, cutting mat, rotary cutter, and fabric… actually it was some test fabric that although it’s nice, I wasn’t worried about how it came out.
It turned out to be a good thing I did use the “test” fabric. I cut the fabric 12″ X 12″ and ended up with a too small 10″ X 10″ hanky when done. I had also sewn a couple up for Kay and measured that fabric 8″ X 8″, which turns out to be big enough for a coaster not a handkerchief. It wasn’t a total loss however, as I was able to perfect (in my humble opinion) my technique and get the stitches to look exactly how I wanted.
Out came the civil war era fabric and I stitched it all up. On a side note, the 10″ X 10″ fabric turned out to be the perfect size for Kay’s handkerchiefs and she’s going to use the 8″ X 8″ fabric for another of her projects. I’ve determined since they came out looking so well of monogramming them with hand embroidery, or finding someone to machine embroider a monogram to them! Happy Quilting!!