No, I don’t know why it’s taken me soooo long to finish piecing this quilt. Call it quilter’s block, which is the term I use rather than the real culprit which I’m sure boils down to laziness… Well maybe 98% laziness and 2% quilter’s block.
Whatever the reason, I’ve finally managed to finish this quilt top and because I did not follow a pattern ended up with a king sized quilt due in part to the double 4″ borders I thought would look good. I obviously am not finished with run-on sentences either! This is, I believe, the largest quilt that I’ve made to date.
Here’s an up-close look at this quilt that has taken me the longest to make.
Now, the points are not perfect and it won’t win any awards, but I’ve learned another valuable lesson on the importance of using only one machine to make the different pieces. Kay and I have different sewing techniques and obviously use different machines. She helped me piece ten of the blocks together and that introduced some variations that played hell with trying to line up everything. Now I’m not placing blame, only stating that I have yet to learn for a quilt such as this how to “play nice” with another quilter and get the desired result.
Also in this pattern, when sewing the blocks together there are eight different points that need to line up which presents another challenge. Normally I would have to make sure that all of the blocks are the exact size and then pin them prior to sewing to give me beautiful uniformity. When there are eight points that need to match however, block size is only one component to a beautifully pieced quilt.
With all that said, I am still and all very pleased with how this turned out and can’t wait to get it quilted down and bound. Speak out and tell me the challenges that you’ve faced! Until then, happy quilting…